I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Wednesday 6 November 2019

Recreating an old Favourite

I have always loved the Hearts and Crosses coverlet in the Quilters' Guild collection and have made two previous quilts with more than a nod to the original. 

This time I wanted to make a 'modern' version using the same dimensions as the original. 

When I look at the original (on the cover of the pattern), I can see that the maker sometimes changed fabrics part way along a strip.  How 'Improv'! I guess nothing is new.

I wanted to use Improv crosses (slash and Insert) rather than the Victorian style ones on the original.  I moved the hearts to the cornerstones.  Their appearance is more subtle than in the original.  I left the sashing plain as the quilt is already very busy.  The eye needs to rest somewhere!

So, what do I think of it, so far?  In retrospect, I think that using more pale strips would have been easier on the eye. I am not used to adding random colours to a quilt.  I am a planner and always coordinate the fabrics I put together.  I was determined to take a more carefree approach.  I found it difficult but will persevere as I think serendipity can be good, too.  If I had not been trying to mimic the original, I would have chosen to use my striped fabric in all of the sashing...but it is what it is!

I have finished piecing the top and now need to get ready for my least enjoyable part of making a quilt - the sandwiching!  I also still need to think about a backing fabric for the quilt. 







No comments:

Post a Comment