I am new to needleturn. I tried creating a block using needleturn before Christmas and ended up unpicking it twice. So, it was with great trepidation that I decided to have another attempt with this project. I have never tried making a quilt this difficult before. It has been great fun so far.
I started off by tea dyeing the background fabric to match the background of the chintz flower fabric for the broderie perse.
I marked up the background fabric using a lightbox and a Frixion pen. I then created bias stems and needleturned them.
Next, I appliqued the flower pot. I had to resew the main pot to the background as I noticed that the fabric behind was puckering. I found the top section of the pot difficult to needleturn, but ended up happy with the result.
I added the swags next. Luckily, due to the shallow curves, they were easy to needleturn. I used papers behind the diamonds to ensure I got a good shape with sharp edges.
I was new to broderie perse. At times I cut the fabric a little too close to the flowers and leaves. It was quite difficult at times, to get a nice flower without cutting into the flower next to it. I will see if I have any fabric left at the end of the project. If so, I may redo a couple of the flowers.
Initially I had great difficulty creating the tiny one inch hexagons for the hexagon flowers. One of the lovely ladies at my patchwork group set me straight. I was using cereal box card as templates - it was too thick and causing my problems. She demo'd the whole process for me. After such an awful start, I now think I could get addicted to hexagons. When I came to trim the block, I realised that I had appliqued some of the leaves around the hexagons too close to the edge, so they had to come off and be resewn.
I have never sewn a medallion quilt before, but I think it is vital to get the borders on perfectly straight. If not, things will only get worse as I add additional border. I initially tried ladder stitch and needleturn stitch to sew the mitres. I wasn't happy with the finish, so I unpicked and machined the mitres. I have used my set square and checked that all the corners are perfectly square. Yahhhhhhhhhhhh.
Now, I need to wait for Part 2 to arrive in March!