I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Thursday, 6 April 2017

Jewels

It has felt good to finish a project.  This is only the second finish so far this year.  The quilt top was pieced last year.  I prevaricated about whether to all an additional border or not...and then, somehow, it just got forgotten.  Anyway, no extra border.  I'm not sure whether the flange along the edge of the quilt was worthwhile.  It meant that the binding was machine sewn to the back of the quilt, and I just could not get the mitres as neat as when the binding is machine sewn to the front of the quilt.  It is done and it's a bright, cheerful quilt.  I do like the pattern.  I adapted it from a pattern on the Moda Cookshop blog. 

I kept the quilting basic.  I used a ruler to quilt 3 lines around each jewel.  I then FMQ'd pearls between the first and second line.  Everywhere else I used a medium stipple stitch.  I used Hobbs Polydown wadding, which gave a nice puff to the coloured blocks.

I finished the third part of the TQS 2017 BOM, The Halo Medallion.  Month 4 and 5 involve a LOT of tiny flying gesse in semi-circles.  How bad can that be?  I guess I will soon find out.  I love the accuracy of foundation paper piecing, but at the same time find it a little tedious which is odd as hand applique doesn't seem to have that effect on me.   I wonder if it is because I have to concentrate when doing FPP, (otherwise I end up doing a lot of unpicking) whereas I find applique relaxing.


I am making very slow progress on the sampler quilt, applying little wool flowers and leaves to a border.  This may have been a big mistake, as I have no experience working with wool, let alone tiny wool pieces!  I am happy with the look, I just hope my sanity survives it!


Friday, 24 February 2017

A New Year, but Slow Progress




This is my first post since October due to flu and a new pup.  On January 1st, I made a list of projects still unfinished:

Works in Progress
Carol’s friendship quilt
Hearts and Flowers 2
TQS 2017 BOM
Daisy’s quilt
Passacaglia quilt
2015 Quiltmania Mystery Quilt
Hexi wallhanging
Gem quilt
Phoebe quilt
Rambling Ways

...and a list of projects to start

Waiting to start
Etoile Rouge 2017 BOM
Quiltmania 2016 Mystery quilt
Amish II Nancy Rink Quilt
Diamond Hill by Esther Aliu

I've decided not to do the 2017 Quiltmania Mystery quilt this year.

It is the 24th February and progress has been slow.  I have two finishes.  Carol's friendship quilt is finished and has arrived in the US OK.  I tried out a faux piping binding this time. 


I finished my second version of the Hearts and Flowers Quilt.  I really enjoyed making the first version in Moda Fig Tree fabric scraps and wondered how the same quilt would look in reproduction fabrics.  Again I have a lot of scraps, so didn't need to buy any fabric.






I made the melon blocks a little larger, increased the width of the middle appliqued border and added an extra star to each side of the outer border.  This version ended up a little larger than the original. In addition, I added a narrow flange instead of the piped border in the original.



I have also made a start on the TQS 2017 BOM.


...and a start on the QAYG Etoile Rouge blocks



Diamond Hill Block 1 (added March 1st)