I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Having Fun with Textile Paint

Three weeks ago I started a Textile Printing course for beginners- only 10 hours over 5 weeks, but a taster of a range of printing techniques.  The first week we made foam stamps.  In week 2 we worked with linocut and this week we started screen printing. It's all fun but messy (I seem to be able to get paint into places that should be impossible!)  It is so much fun, though.

I love autumn leaves, so decided to make a practice piece using a Sizzix die to cut out the foam for the stamp.  I discovered that acrylic blocks used for rubber stamps are great for self adhesive foam stamps.  The glue can be removed with surgical spirit, making the blocks reusable - unlike wooden blocks.



I applied Jacquard Textile paint in a variety of colours to the block with a foam brush and using a dabbing motion.  Once the leaf was dry, I used the cut out of the leaf as a stencil to apply a small amount of Lumiere Gold with a stencil brush.  Too much fun...even if I manage to get paint everywhere!

The border is a batik I've had in my stash for three years.  It is a fabric I have looked at many times and thinking 'What was I thinking when I bought this??!!!' It is SO ugly!  It is perfect for this, though...so it just goes to show how wrong I was!
Happy quilting!

5 comments:

  1. WOW - this looks fabulous. I love the technique, and those leaves look real. This will look great with a batik border. So nice! ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comments, Roseanne!

      Delete
  2. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete