I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Monday, 13 August 2018

Miniature Swap Quilts

I have made a few miniature swap quilts for various swaps over the last few months, but not posted photos.  It is so much fun to play with designing small projects.

I made two for The Quilt Show International Miniature Quilt Exchange.  I made the blue one first and then decided the colours weren't right for my swap partner, so made the second one in pumpkin.



Again, I made two miniatures for the Spring UKQU Miniature Quilt swap.  I wasn't sure about the one with rings, so sent off the ombre one based on the Fibonacci series to my swap partner.

I turned the edges on all of the spirals and circles.  I can only assume my applique is improving as those spirals were a challenge!  I love working with ombre fabrics.  They seem to just add that bit extra to a quilt.


I love the idea of swaps and the design process.  The only issue is the constant worry my swap partner will be disappointed...hence I end up making two every time!

Thursday, 2 August 2018

Bally Birds is Finished

I finished making Bally Birds last week, but I have yet to get a decent photo of it.  The photos below seem to have a bit of a green cast.  It was a lot of fun to make and I am happy with the result.  It was a great opportunity to improve my broderie perse and hand applique.  If we ever get a decent day - not too sunny or not too dark - I'll take some better photos.

Monday, 14 May 2018

Class with Di Ford

Last Friday, I attended a course laid on by Karen of Running Chicken which was taught be Di Ford.  We worked on the centre medallion of her latest quilt, Maling Road.  It was a fun day and Di was very generous with her time.  She covered needleturn, broderie perse and fussy cutting as well as telling us about how she approaches colour, quilt and fabric design.  She had several of her completed quilts with her - my oh my - real eye candy and beautiful workmanship.  I was particularly taken with the wonderful little details in all her quilts.  You can't really appreciate all the wonderful little touches unless you see the quilts up close.  The whole day was a succession of little treats and a great experience! 

I did think my hand applique was ok, but I now realise I have a long way to go, so much more practice is needed!  I do enjoy a challenge!



I also managed to buy a copy of her Bally Birds pattern.  She had the quilt with her - an absolute stunner!

 
 

Wednesday, 28 February 2018

Liquorice Allsorts

We've had a lot of snow here over the past couple of days, so I've had a good excuse to finish my painted whole cloth.  I am happy with it, but wish I was braver with the quilting.  It feels like a cheat when the painting only took about 10 minutes, but it took me two days to quilt it.  I have called the quilt ' Liquorice Allsorts'.

I think I may have a play with the Dye-na-flow and some Markal sticks I have, which I think would act as a resist if applied first?  We'll see.


Monday, 26 February 2018

Roll With It

On the back of trying out Dye-no-flow paints, I thought I'd try a larger piece.  The inspiration was the big lollypop with spiral design on them (that I used to see when I was little).  I used a pipette to apply the paint to the white cotton.  It was fun.  It is so much fun to make something without much of a plan!  I also painted another piece at the same time  - this time inspired by Bassetts Licquorice Allsorts.  I am quilting it at the moment. 

Thursday, 15 February 2018

Serendipity

Sometimes 'stuff' happens by accident.  I bought a Jacquard Dye-na-flow exciter pack at the Festival of Quilts last year.  It had sat on my shelf since then and I thought I'd see what the paints were like.  I cut  a 16 inch square of white cotton and squeezed the paint straight from the bottle diagonally in both directions.  Where the paint was still wet, it bled into paint on the crossover locations and gave an interesting effect.  It had been my intention to throw the test piece away, but I wondered if I could actually use it.  When the paint was dry, I heat set it with the iron and then appliqued on some circles.  I used ombre fabrics from my stash.  I free motion quilted in dark thread around the coloured areas but didn't worry about staying on the lines.  Lastly, I free motioned a stipple stitch using white thread on the white areas.  I cut my binding and splattered some paint onto it - again direct from the bottle.  The entire process probably took half a day.

I have several long term projects on the go that require precision and concentration.  This little project was pure joy - no quarter inches or straight lines to worry about.  It was completely free and easy.  It is so far removed from my usual 'plan every last detail' approach.

I hope I will make more abstract pieces in my future. Happy quilting!