I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Wednesday 13 May 2020

A Finish

Lockdown continues.  I have managed to applique the first eight small blocks I had prepared for the Home Again BOM.  I have started preparing another three blocks, but may wait until I have all of the last eight patterns before I continue.  I get into a groove when I applique and seem to be more effective working that way.

I have cut out the May blocks for the State Fair BOM and will probably start sewing them tomorrow.

I had intended to sew them today but got distracted by a small project I started some time ago.  I used Dye-na-flow to paint a piece of cotton.  The inspiration was poppies that I grew from seed in my front garden last summer.  The piece looked very dull indeed, but I thought I would see if I could do something with it.  I do like to finish things I start...even if it takes me a few years.. :)

Original painted piece - not very inspiring

 After quilting - an improvement, but I didn't really think it through



I have been sewing small improv blocks in between other sewing.  I started piecing what I intended to be a 20" square mini quilt, but when I got to 20" the scale really didn't work.  I kept adding blocks until I reached 100 and put them together into a quilt measuring 44" square.  I used Kona cotton and some Caryl Fallert fabrics from my stash.  I used some Tula Pink striped cotton for the sticks. 


This was the perfect lockdown project.

No comments:

Post a Comment