I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Monday, 27 July 2015

Two Finishes in one Week

It's been pedal to the metal over the past week.  I had two long term quilting projects that needed to be finished.

The first quilt is for my younger son, Peter.  He is a mariner...hence the maritime theme.  This was also my first attempt at designing a medallion style quilt.  I used a wide range of techniques in piecing the quilt including foundation paper piecing, broderie perse and English paper piecing.  The ships came from a purchased panel.


The second quilt is an 80 inch square quilt I started about a year ago.  The pattern for this was created by Joanna Figurola of Figtree Quilts.  Piecing the top was very straightforward, but then the problems started.  I wanted to quilt it entirely by hand using big stitch and using perle cotton. The wadding was so heavy, it was absolute murder on my hands. I found that I liked the look of it in the spools but it looked awful in the sashing. I then unpicked the sashing quilting and quilted it using the tiny throat space on my Bernina 1008. I realised after it was too late to change it, that I would have to quilt the feathers on half the quilt upside down, as I couldn't fit more than half of the quilt into the throat space. To cut a long story short, the quilt has taken me a year to finish. I really fell out of love with it. I just hope the passage of time will help to rekindle my fondness of it!





 Happy quilting, all!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on both finishes. Both are beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete