I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Tree of Life Finished

I have finished the Tree of Life quilt today.


I added one line of echo quilting around the tree and flowers motifs. I decided on gridwork for the centre panel inside the loopy border, with cathedral window fmq using the same size gridwork outside the loopy border.

I used Superior Monopoly in the top and Bottom Line 617 in the bobbin around all the motifs..  I used a fine calico for the backing and for the facing.  I've decided I like facings rather than binding around my quilts.  For this quilt, I cut 4 strips of calico 4.5 inches wide about 10 inches longer than each side.

 I sewed on the calico stopping a quarter inch from each end, leaving 5 inches either end.  I sewed mitres in each corner, trimmed and turned.  I used some strips of Mistyfuse to hold the facing in place, in readiness for sewing down.

I enjoyed the method I used for creating the blocks.  I made a major error when I added the outside border.  I forgot to measure the length of the sides and just pinned and sewed.  I didn't realise I had wavy borders until I had basted the quilt sandwich and stitched in the ditch!  The quilting has reduced the effect, but I'm NOT happy.  I am so annoyed with myself.  The border looks OK, but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment