I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Thursday 5 September 2019

Binding

I have the binding on my large Tulips and Hearts quilt.  I still need to hand sew binding to the back - 300 inches, so will probably save that task for next week when Hawkinge Patchwork group starts up again after the summer break.



I find myself being pulled more towards modern quilting and improv quilting.  I'm not sure why,  but I think it might be to do with the white space.  When I first came across the modern quilt movement I was unmoved.  Initially, it seemed to only use a very limited palette of colours such as blue, beige, orange, black and grey and retro patterned fabric. Maybe that was a misconception on my part.  More recently it seems to have become a much broader church with every colour represented and a real mixture of solid and patterned fabrics.

I think I am happiest when I allow myself the freedom of working with freedom and without pressure or expectation.

Yesterday, I used a photo my husband took at Stonehenge last year as the starting point for a little improv piece.  It was an experiment really.  I used my light box to trace the shapes of the standing stones...but I squared them all off in my tracing. Initially I was going to use the traced diagram as a pattern and cut the pieces exactly...but then I decided to free hand cut the pieces.  After all, I wasn't interested in making an exact copy of the stones.  Before cutting the pieces, I fused some Steam a Seam Light to the back of the fabric.

I used a small piece of Benartex Caryl Bryer Fallert fabric I've been hoarding for the background.

I have machined the binding and just need to hand stitch the back to finish.  I have ideas of doing more in this style, but we will see!

Once I had fused the pieces, I fused the pieces of the monument.  When I looked at it, I realised it needed something else so dragged out my Sizzix and cut a circle for the Sun.  This also gave me the name for the piece - 'Solstice'.  Before sandwiching and quilting, I roughly free motion quilted around all the pieces of fabric in black thread.  I changed out my top thread for a lovely variegated Isacord thread and quilted some wavy rays to finish the piece.

So, what do I think of it?  I'm reasonably happy but I am never thrilled with the fraying I get with raw edge applique.  It drives me nuts.  Either I need to learn to do it better...or maybe just try to relax about it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment