I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Monday 24 August 2015

Quiltmania Mystery BOM 2015

I have managed to finish Part 4 of the Quiltmania 2015 Mystery BOM.   It is amazing how much time can be spent on one block!  There were several stages to this:

  1. Piece the block. Attach cheesecloth backing.
  2. Fuse applique flowers and leaves to the block.
  3. Outline all the appliques with stranded cotton, so trapunto stuffing can be added from the back.
  4. Add the stuffing to the appliques.
  5. Embroider the appliques.

Hand embroidery is not my forte, but I am persevering with this project.  I find the hand stuffing onerous, so I don't think I would do another quilt using this method, but I have been delighted to get experience using methods I would never have tried otherwise.  There are two more parts yet to come...I'm guessing sashing and borders?

Happy quilting!


3 comments:

  1. How interesting, these blocks are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to see someone doing this! I have thought about it and like you there are some techniques I have not experienced in this series as well but thought I would try, for one thing I am not sure what cheese cloth is. Your blocks are very beautiful and you are doing a great job with your embroideries don't give up it will be worth it when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are stunning. It's going to be a glorious quilt.

    ReplyDelete