I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Wednesday 5 August 2015

A FMQ Finish


One of the main reasons I want to become more proficient at FMQ, is so that I can machine quilt wholecloths.  This week I took an old tablecloth that, I think, cost me £5 a few years ago and quilted it.

I used Hobbs Tuscan wool wadding and a tonal white backing.  The centre wreath motif was a free quilting design from Forest Quilting.  I resized it so that it would not cover the embroidery on the tablecloth.  The motifs around the quilt were a combination of a Forest Quilting motif, which I rearranged and my own curled feather design in the centre.    I ditched around every embroidered motif, as I wanted to feature the embroidery.

Overall, for a first effort at quilting a wholecloth, I am pleased.  However, there are a few areas I need to improve on, next time.

  1. Echoing around the motifs (maybe three times) would create more 'light and shade'.
  2. The gridwork would have looked better if it had been slightly smaller. 
  3. I should have used heirloom style feathers instead of 'banana' feathers.  The feathers would have looked crisper.
  4. Using a finer thread for the pebbles would have given them a crisper outline.
I learn best from my mistakes.  I am glad that I decided to start with a rather tired looking tablecloth instead of a real heirloom.  It definitely looks a lot better quilted, than it did before, so that's a win in my book!

I am off to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham tomorrow.  It will be my first ever visit.  I am prepared to be overwhelmed!

Happy quilting!

3 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous to me. I have so much difficulty doing FMQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutly great, have fun in Birmingham.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful ideas, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete