I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Starting Sutton Grange

I bought the Sutton Grange pattern from the Petra Prins stand at the Festival of Quilts last August, but have only now started working on it.  I have decided to try not to buy and new quilting cotton in 2016 - or more realistically, I will only buy a metre when I have used 5 metres.  That's the plan.

Di Ford's pattern calls for broderie perse in the centre of the medallion and around the dresden plate.  I did try a couple of motifs from my stash, but wasn't happy.  In the end, I painted a stylised rose onto white cotton, using Derwent Inktense and Jacquard gold metallic textile paint.  I repeated a smaller version in each of the four corners of the second border.  Once the paint was set permanently, I appliqued the roses to the quilt.  I used some half inch hexagons to replace the broderie perse around the dresden plate.I've had fun adding some beads and French knots to the flowers.

I haven't really done much needle turn applique in the past year.  I've been rediscovering the pleasure of hand work.  Happy New Year, all! xx


4 comments:

  1. Your rose is beautiful! This is so much better than broderie perse. That is a very pretty pattern. Enjoy your handwork. Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a fan of broderie perse, so your rose is an absolute delight. It's perfect for the center!

    ReplyDelete