I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Week 15 of my FMQ Challenge

I adore reproduction style medallion quilts.  I love them when they have an interesting focal point in the centre of the quilt.  OK, so this can be pieced, appliqued or I could buy a panel.  A few weeks ago, I played with my Derwent Inktense pencils and liked the results.  What if????  I thought I would try painting a block to go in the centre of a medallion quilt.  For a kick off, I used a copyright free diagram from one of Dover's  publications.  I scanned the diagram, then resized it to about 18 inches long using Photoshop, saved it as a Photoshop pdf and printed it through Adobe reader using the banner option.  I taped the pages together and placed them under of piece of white PFD cotton.  I attached the paper to the cotton using quilting pins, so it wouldn't shift as I traced it. I traced the diagram onto the cotton using a fine Micron pen.

Once the diagram was transferred, I ironed a piece of freezer paper to the back of the cotton.  This provides a stabilised surface to colour and paint on.
I used my Derwent Intense pencils to colour in the drawing on the cotton.  I kept the pencil pressure fairly light as a little goes a long way once it is wet.

I used textile medium and fine paintbrushes to wet the coloured surface, attempting to not stray outside my lines.

Once all the coloured areas had been painted, I removed the freezer paper from the back, as it allows the cotton dries faster.

Next, I ironed some medium fusible stabiliser to the back of the cotton, followed by two layers of polyester wadding.  I hald the layers together with quilting pins.

Starting near the middle of the piece, I used about 8 different colours of Isacord thread to quilt the motif.

Once the motif was entirely quilted, I cut away one layer of polyester wadding around the motif at the back of the work.
Lastly, I echo quilted twice around the motif and FMQ'd a swirly leaf motif over the white background.

Close ups of the quilting



I'm sure there are a lot of other methods I could have used to achieve similar results and would not suggest this is a good method.  I make it up as I go along.  I have made lots of mistakes along the way.  It's the way I learn.  Happy quilting!








4 comments:

  1. you are one very clever lady. This is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWWW Sue what a wonderful fun exciting tutorial. Loved the tourney with you and love love the end results. Cheers Glenda PS Loveeeeee the bright clear colours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda! If I forget how I produced the piece, I will be able to refer back to my post. I was having a procedure done in hospital the following day and this little project kept my mind happily occupied.
      Sue xx

      Delete
  3. WOW is all I can say Sue, very well done and a beautiful effort!
    Lorraine.

    ReplyDelete