I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Week 17 of my 2015 FMQ Challenge

The table topper is finished.  The quilting took a good 6 hours in total, but I'm happy with the effect.  I just drew straight lines using a Frixion pen to guide my feathers, and then winged it.  In hindsight, I wish that I had squared up the two star blocks before I sewed on the sashing and border.  There was quite a lot of fullness in the cream tone on tone fabric around each star.  I should also have stitched in the ditch around each of the cream triangles.  As they say, hindsight is 20/20!



I managed to find time to paint a 15 inch block and quilt it.  The block design came from EQ7.  I transferred the design to white cotton using a Pigma Micron pen.  I used Jacquard Textile paint for the first time.  I bought an exciter pack a few weeks ago.   Initially, I thinned the blue paint with fabric medium, and it bled, so I subsequently used it as it came out of the bottle.  I used a double layer of polyester wadding and cut away one layer around the main motifs, before doing the background stipple.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Sue the block looks terrific with the quilting added. I have always wanted to paint but whats in the mind does not come up on paper LOL. But I have been able to enjoy doing appliqué with fabric and been happy with the results over the last 20 years. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! Your painted block is gorgeous, I love it!

    ReplyDelete