I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Part 2 of the Di Ford Mystery Quilt Finished

I just finished Part 2 of the Mystery quilt. It wasn't all plain sailing.  The first border I sewed was too long, so I carefully unpicked all of the little squares and triangles, remeasured everything drew the seam allowances on the back of the appliqued circle squares and resewed.  Perfect!  I guess my quarter inch isn't as accurate as I thought it was!  Some of the circles aren't dead centre, so I may take them off and reapplique them.

I really love the little touches in this quilt.  The little hexagons in the corner of the border are adorable.  That Di Ford is a great quilt designer!

I have just found and joined two really great Facebook groups - one for those making the Mystery quilt and one for those making quilts from Di Ford's Primarily Quilts book.  I no longer feel alone!


I've also started quilting my oriental quilt.  I'm using a Superior gold metallic thread.


I really wish I had more time to play and learn FMQ.  I really enjoy it, but I MUST improve my setup.  My sewing machine is higher than I would like and it reduces how well I can see what I'm doing ...and it makes my shoulders ache.

Only 10 days until our holiday - 14 nights cruising the Mediterranean - can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue both your projects are stunning. I like how those wee cycles have come up in the border, I love circles and seem to manage to add them in most of my quilts LOL. Your oriental quilt is looking quiet stunning. Cheers Genda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda! The circles were much easier once I got hold of the Perfect Circles! One of the ladies at my patchwork group suggested doing some sort of fans on the oriental quilt. I found some examples of Sashiko fans on the Internet and adapted them to my project.

      Delete
  2. Great quilting and love your appliqué quilt and those circles are terrific.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete