I've now been quilting for three and a half years. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Chicken!

I finally got around to photographing my finished Mountmellick quilt this morning.  It has been sitting folded up, waiting to be hung.  I see it already has some fold marks on it, so that will teach me not to hang it straight away!


Week 10 of my FMQ challenge

This week, I have made a finished piece, rather than an unbound practice piece.  The cockerel was drawn and coloured using Derwent Intense pencils.  I added two layers of wool batting just behind the bird and then thread-painted using a combination of Isacord and rayon threads.  I cut away the excess batting around the bird, then made the quilt sandwich using polyester batting. I echo quilted around the bird to make the trapunto stand out.  I know the quilting behind the small chicken print and the feather print would not show up very well, so used the feather border to FMQ free form feathers following the pattern on the fabric.  Having far too much fun!




2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a stunning finish! I love your fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt. I love the mixture of the applique and piecing. The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete