I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Wednesday 18 March 2015

Weird Week - Nothing Quite Right

I've had one of those weeks!  Nothing has gone quite as I'd hoped.

Week 11 of my FMQ Challenge

This was an unmitigated disaster. In the past, I have used a thick cotton batting to back the work and this has been sufficient to stabilise the stitching.  This time, I used a wool batting.  The result is awful.  The work distorted badly and really pulled in at the edges, where the background had been stippled, leaving lines  radiating out from the hare that the stippling cannot hide.  I am teaching myself, so learning from my own mistakes.  I'm just glad this was a practice piece and it will serve as a reminder of what NOT to do!

New Project - Phebe by Di Ford

I've been looking at the pattern for this quilt for a long time, and now Mountmellick is finished, I'm missing it.  I have made a start preparing the appliques for the centre medallion, using wash away applique paper.  I am struggling with some of the tiny pieces, and will have to redo some.  I will also consider using embroidery or small pieces of ultrasuede or wool felt, if all else fails.  There are hundreds of pieces to prepare, and I want this to be a quilt I can be proud of, so if it isn't up to scratch, I'll redo.

Just in case I don't have enough projects on the go, I've started a small beading project as part of a Craftsy course in Bead Embroidery.  I'm really enjoying it, and it won't take too much time.  I need a bit of bling in my life!


Happy stitching!

1 comment:

  1. OMG I LOVE that rabbit. It is amazing. Is it a panel or all done freehand?
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete