I've been quilting since 2013. This blog is my personal quilting diary, that charts my progress (and occasional regression) from the start. I use it so I can look back at my past projects...and hopefully see my skills improve!

Tuesday 3 March 2015

Week 9 FMQ and More

It has been a very productive week.  This week I have managed to finish the first block of the Quiltmania mystery quilt.

I tried out some thread painting with mixed results.

The first piece is of Monty, my Maltese.

The second piece is my granddaughter, Willow and less successful.  I will have another try at this in the future...trying to avoid the contour lines.  I think they are a distraction.  Live and learn!


It is now week 9 of my FMQ challenge.  My,  but time flies!I created a FMQ practice piece using plum coloured cotton, silver and gold metallic thread, turquoise and blue thread.  I wanted to try out Isacord's metallic threads and bought two spools from Stocks in Leeds. The thread was strong and has a good lustre, so I'm happy.  I hadn't tried feathers for a few weeks and I've always wanted to try hyperquilting.  I printed a block from EQ7 to give me the basic star shape.  I then made some changes to it.  This was the first time I have quilted feathers without drawing them out first.  My main gripe with this is that because I used blue and turquoise thread for the feathers, I'm not sure they show up against the plum background, as much as I would like. It was fun, though!  I also spoiled the overall effect in the middle of the piece by using a scribble stitch.  I may go back over it with a purple thread so it isn't so obvious.




6 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I love your Quiltmania mystery block, and your thread painting is breathtaking! I think you are more critical of the portrait of your granddaughter because her face is so familiar and special to you; maybe you did not capture something with the thread that you see when you look in her eyes. But to me, I see a beautiful little girl expertly stitched in thread. I think it's delightful! Your FMQ piece is lovely, too. Great idea, to print out blocks from EQ7 and use them as quilting templates! I'll have to try that some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thread painting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thread painting and quilting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are gorgeous, I love your thread painting and your first block is just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you may not like the wee art quilt of your DGD but it really appeals to me, she looks like she is full of mischief her eyes are sparkling and that hint of a smile peeping out, I love it. Keep it up. Cheers Glenda PS thats a great portrait of your wee dog.

    ReplyDelete