It has been a very productive week. This week I have managed to finish the first block of the Quiltmania mystery quilt.
I tried out some thread painting with mixed results.
The first piece is of Monty, my Maltese.
The second piece is my granddaughter, Willow and less successful. I will have another try at this in the future...trying to avoid the contour lines. I think they are a distraction. Live and learn!
It is now week 9 of my FMQ challenge. My, but time flies!I created a FMQ practice piece using plum coloured cotton, silver and gold metallic thread, turquoise and blue thread. I wanted to try out Isacord's metallic threads and bought two spools from Stocks in Leeds. The thread was strong and has a good lustre, so I'm happy. I hadn't tried feathers for a few weeks and I've always wanted to try hyperquilting. I printed a block from EQ7 to give me the basic star shape. I then made some changes to it. This was the first time I have quilted feathers without drawing them out first. My main gripe with this is that because I used blue and turquoise thread for the feathers, I'm not sure they show up against the plum background, as much as I would like. It was fun, though! I also spoiled the overall effect in the middle of the piece by using a scribble stitch. I may go back over it with a purple thread so it isn't so obvious.